Do you want to be involved in and contribute to international peace, security and development? Do you want a meaningful and developing job where you make a difference? Apply for the role as senior researcher at the Folke Bernadotte Academy!
About the role
As senior researcher, you play a central role in the FBA’s mission to promote and conduct research aimed at the effective implementation of international peace efforts. You work with two areas of activity: own basic research (50% of working hours) and activities that aim to promote research and research application (50% of working hours).
As a senior researcher, you are the scientific engine in the program for research, development and evidence. You conduct empirical, context-based basic research of direct relevance to FBA’s areas of expertise, preferably based on fieldwork in conflict or post-conflict countries. You publish your research results in internationally reviewed journals and book series. Through your research, you also contribute to the FBA’s thematic development. The research is funded as a basic principle by FBA’s administrative grants. FBA can also be a fund manager for externally funded research projects, but then it is required that the research is judged to be of direct relevance to FBA’s areas of expertise.
An essential part of the activities that the program for research, development and evidence conducts consists of knowledge transfer and the promotion of dialogue between researchers, decision-makers and practitioners in the field of peace, security and development. As a senior researcher, you have a leading role in this work and your tasks therefore also include national and international seminar activities as well as other activities that can contribute to making research results visible and available. You fulfil an advisory function within FBA in the work of promoting research integration and an evidence-based approach. Your duties also include evaluating research applications, working with FBA’s own publications and representing the program for research, development and evidence internally and externally.
You collaborate closely and unpretentiously with your colleagues on the research, development and evidence program. Under the direction of the head of research, you work independently in all areas of activity and guide your administrative colleagues in the research-promoting work. Many tasks have an international dimension, which can involve daily international contacts.
- Doctoral degree in peace and conflict research or equivalent social science specialization that FBA deems equivalent
- Documented deep experience of planning and leading independent efforts in empirical, scientific research regarding peace, security and development, preferably based on fieldwork in conflict or post-conflict environments. You prove your scientific skills by means of an attached list of your internationally reviewed scientific publications, popular science publications and other scientific merits. FBA assesses scientific merits in accordance with the principles for merit evaluation applied at Swedish higher education institutions.
- Experience of communicating and translating research results into advisory or capacity-building activities.
- Experience of planning, implementing and following up projects that require a developed social ability.
- Documented good analytical, written and communicative ability.
- Basic knowledge of Swedish.
- Very good knowledge of English. You are expected to be able to publish in English without extensive language review.
FBA strives for a staff composition that reflects the diversity of society. We will attach great importance to your personal qualities which, together with previous experience, must be able to be verified when taking a reference.
About the Folke Bernadotte Academy
Folke Bernadotte Academy is the Swedish government agency for peace, security and development. As part of Sweden’s international development aid, we promote peace in conflict-affected countries.
FBA has over 150 employees in Sweden. The authority has offices on Drottning Kristina’s väg in Stockholm and on Sandö in Kramfors municipality.