Migration, return and reconstruction – consequences of the war in Ukraine
Date: November 25, 2022
Note that this seminar will be held in Swedish.
In a shaky security situation in the EU’s neighbourhood, the need to enforce common decisions based on past experience and future forecasts is highlighted. On 1 January 2023, Sweden will take over the Presidency of the EU Council of Ministers and will thus accompany the EU in dealing with the challenges resulting from Russia’s war of aggression against Ukraine. In this context, the Expert Group on Public Economy Studies (ESO), the Expert Group on Aid Analysis (EBA), and the Delegation for Migration Studies (Delmi) are organising a seminar on the EU’s joint handling of issues related to the war in Ukraine.
The seminar will touch on issues such as how many Ukrainians may continue to leave Ukraine and stay in Sweden and the EU, and what this may mean for the EU’s joint management of migrants in need of protection. Other issues that will be addressed are integration and return. Further concerns relate to reconstruction and thus the role of the EU and Sweden in enabling Ukraine to rebuild the country in the future with aid and other support.
Alice Petrén, journalist and former foreign correspondent at the Swedish Radio with a mandate to cover migration and refugee issues
- Olle Hammar, PhD in economics, researcher at the Institute for Business Research and the Institute for Futures Studies and associated with the Uppsala Immigration Lab and the Uppsala Center for Fiscal Studies
- Anna Lindblad, lawyer, political scientist and deputy head of law at the Swedish Migration Board
- Anders Olofsgård, Associate Professor of Economics at the Stockholm School of Economics and Deputy Director of the Östekonomiska Institutet
- Maria Perrotta Berlin, researcher in economics at the Östekonomiska Institutet
- Daniel Tarschys, Professor Emeritus at Stockholm University, Senior Advisor at the Swedish Institute for European Policy Studies. Former Secretary General of the Council of Europe and former Chairman of the Committee on Foreign Affairs
- Tobias Thyberg, Ambassador at the Swedish Embassy in Kiev
On site: Lunden, kv. Lejonet, Drottninggatan 4, Stockholm
Online: Follow the seminar live on the EBA – YouTube channel. A recording of the seminar will also be available afterwards.